From the first time we saw Noah starting to experiment with alcohol; all the way to the time of a certain King Lemuel (believe me, he is in your bible)… and until today; alcohol has affected many innocent lives.
Rachel Lohmann puts it this way: “Alcohol isn’t an individual problem…and the one it hurts the most is the one who doesn’t even drink.”
Now, let’s visit this King Lemuel who God has blessed with a wise mother.
Some scholars believe that Lemuel was a king of Massa (which was one of the clans descending from Ishmael). We are in Genesis 25:14.
Some believe that Lemuel is another name of Solomon; which- translated- means Lemo (Towards) El(God). This second group base their argument on the story after David and Bathsheba lost their first child, and later gave birth to Solomon and called him Jedidiah. They believe- since the name Jedidah means loved by the LORD- LemoEl was one of the names Solomon was known by.
Now, if this second group’s argument is anything to go by (which I think it is), then the wise Queen Mother in this account, is Bathsheba.
We meet the young king just when his mother was giving him wise advise…
Proverbs 31: 4- 5(NIV)
Verse 4- It is not for kings, O Lemuel- not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer
The Kingly anointing is the anointing of RULERSHIP!
The anointing of being the head and not the tail! …you shall be above, and not beneath- Deuteronomy 28:13(NKJV)
Kings represent Leadership and influence. So, if you are called to Infiltrate and Influence- like King Lemuel- this advise is for you too!
Craving beer, and drinking wine is not for those with the Kingly anointing!
And Queen Bathsheba gives the reason why she says that…
Verse 5- lest they drink and forget what the law decrees, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.
Key words in this verse are- ‘Forget’ and ‘Deprive.’ You see; most of the time when an Influencer forgets/neglects (and many who have “Alcohol Indulgence Tendencies” tend to go this route a lot) what’s expected of them- That which the law commands– they deprive their influencees of their rights.
I went through the Oath Of Office sworn by President Nelson Mandela during his inauguration, and I picked up some important points he asked God to help him achieve. And I realized that, actually, those points separate Leaders from
Among others, the first democratically elected Leader of South Africa said:
“I hereby swear”
To be faithful…
– Faithful implies unswerving adherence to whatever you owe allegiance to; and anyone given to drunkenness does not owe commitment to anyone/anything but… alcohol. Therefore; you cant depend on such a leader- they are not faithful.
To promote that which will advance…
– Advance implies making progress in a purposeful way- i.e to develop and improve; and a leader given to drunkenness will not be able to promote the development and improvement of the people he leads.
To oppose all that may harm…
– The word harm can mean causing pain, intense sorrow, distress, hardships; and to abuse and mistreat someone; and a leader given to drunkenness will always be the cause of harm, instead of opposing that which may put his followers in harm’s way.
To devote myself to the well-being of the people…
– Well-being is the state of being comfortable, secure, safe, and protected- things a leader given to drunkenness can not devote himself to providing for people God has given him.
I have seen alcohol drinking parents neglecting their parental responsibilities; and before you know it, their kids suffer deprivation- They are deprived of the most important thing- Their childhood!
To do justice to all…
– The word justice can mean fair treatment, and genuine respect for others; and we all know how impossible that can be for a leader given to drunkenness, because alcohol tempers with his brain. Read: Wine Has Robbed My People Of Their Understanding