Genesis 9: 22- 25
Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father’s nakedness and told his two brothers outside, But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backwards and covered their father’s nakedness… When Noah awoke from his wine and found out what his youngest son had done to him, he said, “Cursed be Canaan! The lowest of slaves will he be to his brothers.”-
I don’t know about you, but when I read these four verses for the first time, I could not understand what Ham did, that was so wrong! In fact I became angry!
You find your dad laying there naked because of his negligence, and you quickly step out and tell your older brothers, who as a result cover him up! What’s wrong with that? Why should I be punished for that? I mean, it’s not even my fault that this old man had too much to drink. Now, because he is embarrassed that I was ACCIDENTALLY exposed to his nakedness, I get punishment? I could not understand that at all…
Until I read it again (maybe you should too). Then my eyes were opened, and I realized that- although this whole thing was his father’s fault- Ham reacted foolishly towards the situation.
Can you see that “But” in the second verse? That caught my attention! That small word connects the two sentences; and is used to suggest- in an affirmative sense- what the latter sentence implied in a negative way. I know you missed that; so let me bring it home. The verse says: “But Shem and Japheth took a garment and laid it across their shoulders; then they walked in backwards and covered their father’s nakedness…”
- Age of your Pastor,
- Gender of your CEO
- Ideology of your President
- Religion of your Supervisor
- Beliefs of a certain King/ Queen/ Chief
- Skin colour and ethnicity of your Teacher
- Personality and character of your Parent(s)
- Show me a person who insults and ridicules their Leader in order to infiltrate position of power; and I will show you one whose influence won’t last- I have seen them in my life time!
- Show me a person who disrespects his parents(biological or spiritual); and I will show you one who will struggle to succeed in life- I have seen them in my life time!
Be wise, and your influence will last!
– As you Infiltrate and Influence, what are the lessons to take home(from this post)?
Don’t insult and ridicule Leaders in order to promote yourself- You will soon go down.
Respect authority; and God will respect you enough to give you authority.
Even if you are a Leader yourself, you are not exempted from this principle.
You may not feel that a particular Leader deserves your respect, but respect them because of their office.
Don’t disrespect your parents(biological or spiritual) lest you struggle to succeed in life.
Make a choice to pray for Leaders; that you may leave peaceful and quite life.
And if you know anyone who might benefit from this blog; feel free to share the link via: